Unraveling Your Purpose: Understanding Your Why
“The intention is the foundation of every action.” – Imam Ali (Nahjul Balagha, Saying 68). This profound Hadith emphasizes the importance of understanding our intentions, our ‘why’, before we embark on any action. It’s a reminder that our motivations drive our actions and ultimately determine the outcomes.
Understanding your why is a critical step in achieving your goals. It’s not just about what you want to achieve, but why you want to achieve it. This ‘why’ is your driving force, your motivation, and your guiding light when things get tough.
Here’s why it’s important to identify your ‘why’:
- It gives you a sense of purpose: Knowing your ‘why’ gives your goals a sense of purpose. It’s not just about achieving something, but about fulfilling a deeper need or desire.
- It keeps you motivated: When you know why you’re doing something, it’s easier to stay motivated. Your ‘why’ is your reason to keep going, even when things get tough.
- It helps you make decisions: Your ‘why’ can guide your decisions and help you stay focused on what’s truly important.
Let’s take an example to understand this better:
Suppose you want to get fit. But why?
- Because you want to be stronger and faster. But why?
- Because you want to keep up with your kids as they get older. But why?
- Because you want to be healthy, be around as long as possible for them, and be a good role model for them.
After asking ‘why’ several times, we’ve established that the intention to get fit comes from the value you place on being a good father for your kids.
“All great acts are ruled by intention. What you mean is what you get.” – Brenna Yovanoff, an American author known for her captivating novels. This quote encapsulates the essence of our discussion. Your intentions shape your actions, and your actions determine your results. So, start with a clear ‘why’, and let it guide you towards your goals.
If you’re struggling to identify your ‘why’ or need help setting and achieving your goals, I’m here to help. As an accountability coach, I’ve helped many young men overcome stagnation and make significant progress in their lives. Sign up for my weekly newsletter here and I’ll send every new blog post straight to your inbox. Stay up-to-date with all my future self-development and productivity tips, as well as upcoming promotions. Plus, you’ll get a free online course that teaches you how to write a vision statement and develop a 12-week action plan for 4 SMART goals, along with a free PDF worksheet to help you construct this action plan.